Las Vegas Metro police arrested a 22-year-old man after false claims of an active shooter led to a heavy police response at Town Square Friday night.
According to police, there was a fight between two groups of people. Police said one gun was found, which was previously seen by many people. No one was injured and no shots were fired.
Rayvon Berton was arrested for assault with a deadly weapon and carrying a concealed weapon after the incident, police said.
Witnesses said they heard gunshots at the AMC at Town Square, but police said those reports were never verified.
Several people at Town Square said they were put on lockdown and told to move away from store entrances for safety. Others said they were told to leave the area.
"We do everything we can to contain the area, which is exactly what we did," the watch commander with Metro Police said.
"(Our response) was based on the information we had at the time."
FOX5 producer Kristen Kidman was on the scene when lockdowns began.
"I was at Pinot’s Palette. We sheltered in place, a bunch of us hid in the back and they turned the lights off. Some people were very upset, especially when someone started banging on the back door and someone else tried to open it. We really thought there was a shooter, that’s all we kept hearing. It was all very alarming. Relieved it wasn’t nearly as bad as we thought," she said.
Damon Schilling, Government and Community Affairs Manager for AMR and MedicWest said it was better to be safe than sorry.
"It's one of those types of things where we're glad that we're not needed, but we're glad that we're there just in case we are," Schilling said. "More often than not, we find that they are false stories or somebody kind of exaggerated a situation."
"Our first responders here in this valley are top notch, second to none ... We're always trying to make ourselves better because we realized there's some things with 1 October that could definitely be fixed."
Copyright 2018 KVVU (KVVU Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.